Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Introductions

This blog is for all those who are interested in what is going on in the North Dakota oil boom. I encourage people to comment as I think it is important for people to understand the intricacies of the oil patch. I gave up a successful yet poorly compensated career in the public sector to come to the North Dakota oil boom. I decided that working for State Government during a recession wasn't going to get me where I wanted to be. College degree, student loans and no money to pay them off. Wife and three kids, car payment and big dreams and that's all they were was dreams.

So hear I am living in a 5th wheel near Williston North Dakota. I spent fourteen years in law enforcement and have a degree in Psychology. I did not have people beating down my door to pay me six figures. I decided to investigate the oil boom. I had heard of 18 year old kids coming out here making 80000 plus a year. I am far from 18 and didn't desire to do back breaking work in the oil field but wanted to make 80000 a year so I started checking the ads. I applied to multiple companies and get several responses. The one I took was to a small trucking company. The Truck Boss had a charismatic way about him so I bit. I went to North Dakota to haul water. The pay was not promised to be awesome but I was told they were making between 8 and 10 thousand a month so I was game. I have been here six months and now am the truck boss and make a pretty good salary and actually work for some pretty decent people.

There are a lot of good people and good companies in the oil patch. On the flip side of that there is exactly the opposite. This place is cutthroat. Many of the locals are leaving and the ones that are staying are capitalizing on the boom. They are greedy and are finding everyway they can to squeeze a dime out of people coming in. I want to bring my family closer but can't get within two hundred miles for under 2500.00 a month for rent. 2500.00 is cheap within a hundred miles of williston for a three bedroom house or apartment. There are people renting out small campers for a 1000.00 a month. It is sickening.

I am worried if I make these posts to long no one will read them so I will to add things daily about living and working in the Bakken. If you have questions I will try to answer and if someone else reads this maybe they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment